Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Let the Crackberry Rhapsody begin:

What an amazing piece of machinery!!! And it’s so tiny! I remember Zev Brenner’s first-generation Blackberry. It took two hands to even hold it. I guess one had to push the buttons with one’s nose. That was only five years ago. Mine (called the “Curve,” for those who must know those details) is only a little larger than my former flip-phone. Amazing!!

It’s now Week 3 since the arrival of the new toy, and I’ve been having too much fun with it. The new cel phone plan has some limits on phone minutes and text, but the internet (what I most wanted in this deal) is unlimited – and for about half of what my previous plan was charging me for simple voice. Yes, I’m stoked. My e-mail inboxes haven’t been this tidy in years. I can finally get and respond to casting notices in a timely manner. Maybe it’ll help.

It didn’t take long to learn to love mobile apps. Try navigating a full-size web site on a teeny-tiny BlackBerry screen. You’ll work it out fast. Interestingly, some of the most accessible apps seem to come out of media organizations (NY Times, S Francisco Chronicle, LA Times, BBC, AP); I’m in news junkie heaven.

The BlackBerry itself seems to have its own idiosyncrasies. For some inexplicable reason, the software shifts a middle name to the last name, which, of course, wreaks havoc with being able to properly alphabetize one’s contacts. It imposes a compromise, and I hate to have to compromise.

Which brings us to the new Munkis Bros. show, pending. There is, at last, an animatic, and the script, though it needs to get trimmed a bit for time, plays a little better than I first thought. The big issue is, of course, the opening sequence. Limitations in my animation software have already imposed compromises, and it looks like I’ll have to rip everything out and start it all over. It has to be there, though. Without it, nothing that follows makes sense. I can, however, begin to see an end to it, but not for another few weeks at best.

With the Munkis show, of course, I can make some realistic projections because I’m the only one on the project. There are a few other things attempting to percolate up, but when someone else is involved, I find it best to hold back announcements until they’re announcing something that’s really on the ground. The general picture promises to brighten; the problem is, it’s not my promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment